For all asbestos removal or asbestos abatement issues in Tucson Arizona, Steamy Concepts Restoration LLC has your health at heart, and will gladly respond with promptness to ensure the safety of your family. If your home needs immediate attention due to any unexpected damage and it was built prior to 1977 you need to be aware of the risks associated with accidental asbestos removal.
Asbestos has been linked to health issues including but not limited to: Mesothelioma, Lung Cancer (among many other forms of cancer), Asbestosis and numerous respiratory complications.
Although the use of asbestos in building and manufacturing was discontinued in the mid 1970s, it can still be found in many structures and products we use today. Asbestos was used in household materials such as:
Steam Pipes, Boilers, Furnace Ducts, Floor Tile, Vinyl Sheet Flooring, Cement Sheet, Millboard, Paper, Door Gaskets, Soundproofing and Decorative Material, Patching and Joint Compounds, Paint, Shingles, Siding and Cement Roofing.
Therefore, if your house was built prior to 1977 and you have had any water, mold or fire damage that needs to be remediated, it is definitely recommended that you have a certified asbestos inspector come out to investigate your premises immediately. It is absolutely imperative that nobody removes any building materials before asbestos testing and without the supervision and instruction of a certified trained inspector. Here is a list of Do’s and Don’ts if you believe you may possibly have asbestos in your home.
- Asbestosis –Asbestosis is a serious, progressive, long-term non-cancer disease of the lungs. It is caused by inhaling asbestos fibers that irritate lung tissues and cause the tissues to scar. The scarring makes it hard for oxygen to get into the blood. Symptoms of asbestosis include shortness of breath and a dry, crackling sound in the lungs while inhaling. There is no effective treatment for asbestosis.
- Lung Cancer — Lung cancer causes the largest number of deaths related to asbestos exposure. People who work in the mining, milling, manufacturing of asbestos, and those who use asbestos and its products are more likely to develop lung cancer than the general population. The most common symptoms of lung cancer are coughing and a change in breathing. Other symptoms include shortness of breath, persistent chest pains, hoarseness, and anemia.
- Mesothelioma — Mesothelioma is a rare form of cancer that is found in the thin lining (membrane) of the lung, chest, abdomen, and heart and almost all cases are linked to exposure to asbestos. This disease may not show up until many years after asbestos exposure. This is why great efforts are being made to prevent school children from being exposed
Homeowners Do’s and Don’ts for Asbestos:
- Do keep activities to a minimum in any areas having damaged material that may contain asbestos.
- Do take every precaution to avoid damaging asbestos material.
- Do have removal and major repair done by people trained and qualified in handling asbestos. It is a highly recommended that sampling and minor repair also be done by asbestos professionals.
- Don’t dust, sweep, or vacuum debris that may contain asbestos.
- Don’t saw, sand, scrape, or drill holes in asbestos materials.
- Don’t use abrasive pads or brushes on power strippers to strip wax from asbestos flooring. Never use a power stripper on a dry floor.
- Don’t sand or try to level asbestos flooring or it is backing. When asbestos flooring needs replacing, install new floor covering over it, if possible.
- Don’t track material that could contain asbestos through the house. If you cannot avoid walking through the area, have it cleaned with a wet mop. If the material is from a damaged area, or if a large area must be cleaned, call an asbestos professional.
If you follow these simple steps, and have your house inspected by a certified asbestos inspector, you and your family should be more than safe. Remember, asbestos is a serious matter and needs to be handled as such. For asbestos removal / asbestos abatement, Steamy Concepts is here to help. Steamy Concepts – Keeping Tucson clean and safe since 1998.